We have received copies from WordPress.com of Court Orders granted to Turkey to order them to ban this blog thefreeonline in Turkey and for internet users ”originating on Turkey”and also around 50 more blogs for posts against fascism, racism and patriarchy by the ‘elected dictator’ Erdogan and in favour or Democratic Confederalism. ( see list below, includes Latuff Cartoons, Desert Peace, Uprooted Palestinians, etc).
thefreeonline is a modest blog which promotes a utopian novel called The Free and posts relevant news, etc, in this case about the inspiring bottom up democratic revolution in Rojava, which has been brutally repressed in Turkey itself and now in Afrin with the Turkish invasion.You can’t read thefreeonline anymore in Turkey (except with a Vpn or Tor) , or if you’re a person ”originating in Turkey” (we’re not sure how that works, but the order seems to aim at blogs translating or sharing news from exiled Turkish people and supporters..
The ban includes the suppression of much more frequented sites, see list below, and probably there are many more, and perhaps Google and other blog hosts have followed wordpress’s example of refusing to appeal the banning orders.
WordPress’s statement says ”we must comply to keep WordPress.com accessible for everyone in Turkey. We will not be challenging this order in court”. In other words Erdogan is blackmailing again, threatening to ban all WordPress.com blogs from Turkey (as they did before) unless those critical of him are suppressed.
We could fill pages with a list of documented blackmail scams by Erdogan over the years, one of his most disgusting being extracting billions of euros in EU tax money in exchange for blocking refugee boats. This while exploiting the same refugees as illegal semi slave labour and recruiting them as jihadi mercenaries to invade and ”ethnically cleanse” (a euphemism for genocide) Rojava and now parts of Northern Iraq. see.. Erdoğan threatens the world with exporting jihadist terrorists ..
Below is a list of posts on thefreeonline which were cited by The Turkish prosecutors as evidence that the site should be banned. see list of more banned sites further below.
- This is a typical short post, shared from kurdiscat which details in English and Spanish one of the earlier neo-fascist style purges jailing 899 leftist, feminist and Kurdish activists, news which never appeared in the mainstream western media.
The post includes links to posts that expose Erdogan’s brutal mass murders in his own country. Including the shocking post ‘Genocide in Europe: Nusaybin surrenders after 74 days ..in total ruins and deafening silence‘, which was translated by thefreeonline.
see also.. People of Turkey still denied access to Wikipedia – Wikimedia Blog
the other thefreeonline posts cited by the Turkish prosecutor
- https://thefreeonline.wordpress.com/2017/01/29/turkish-state-terror-jails-191-reporters/ Typically Erdogan issues a banning order to help suppress news that he’s jailed 191 journalists for criticizing him. The latest news (July 2018) is that he will invent laws by decree to legalise permanently the dictatorial powers of the State of Emergency. ANHA English
- https://thefreeonline.wordpress.com/2017/04/16/massive-voter-fraud-mars-turkey-referendum. Erdogan is a great fan and imitator of Adolf Hitler.In this case he closed down nearly all media except that of his own party, arrested, purged or fired hundreds of thousands of people on suspicion, then called a referendum and even then had to fudge the figures as he still might have lost!
- https://thefreeonline.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/fascism-in-turkey/ It’s noteworthy that two specifically anti fascist posts are on the prosecutor’s list, though thefreeonline has yet to share a post on the role of the deep state and the fascist ‘Grey Wolves’ behind the scenes.
- https://thefreeonline.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/arrests-and-deaths-in-kurdistan/ This post details the arrest and continuing imprisonment of journalist #ZehraDogan, for publishing a single image on the Nusaybin massacre ordered by Erdogan. Below is a mural by Banksy supporting her, but she is one of thousands, including elected mayors and many who merely criticised Erdogan on Facebook, who are rotting on Turkish jails, while the now all powerful ‘elected dictator’ is cynically if reluctantly supported by EU money, Russian patronage, US/NATO armaments, and now even wordpress.com.